The developmental and cognitive abilities of children play a significant role in their vulnerability to injury. The function of the Child Injury Action Group (CIAG) is to identify priorities and strategies to reduce child injury in Ohio. The CIAG has identified focus areas to address in their five-year strategic plan including: teen driving safety, bicycle and wheeled sports helmets, infant sleep-related suffocation, sports-related traumatic brain injury, child maltreatment and child restraint/booster seat law review/revision.
Ongoing priorities of the CIAG include:
- Increasing statewide collaboration around child injury prevention efforts
- Building state and local capacity for child injury prevention efforts
- Researching and assessing the feasibility of implementing evidence-based injury prevention policies and programs at the local and state levels
- Promoting evidence-based child and youth injury prevention programs throughout Ohio
Congratulations 2022 Project Pilot Recipients!
The Lake County Health Department is piloting a Driver’s Education Program at Wickliffe Schools to students who would otherwise not be able to afford a driver's education course. The Driver’s Education program will include the use of the Student/Parent GDL online module.
The Henry County Health Department is piloting a peer/student health education program. The high school students will select evidence-based programs to implement within their school that relate to teen driving and youth suicide. This two-year project will run through June 2023.
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center is in its second year of a pilot project addressing youth suicide prevention, with a goal of reducing lethal means for youth by using the teachable moments in the emergency room.
CIAG has distributed more than $200,000 in Pilot Projects since 2012. The next pilot project application will be available this fall.
Contact the CIAG Chair: Amanda Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org)
How to Join
The CIAG is an action group of the Ohio Injury Prevention Partnership (OIPP). To become a member of the OIPP or any of the OIPP action groups, please complete the online membership application. You will begin to receive meeting notifications and updates about the group's activities.
Upcoming Meetings & Events
Please join us for the upcoming CIAG Subcommittee conference calls:
- Thursday, May 19, at 10 a.m. – Safe Sleep
- Wednesday, June 1, at 1 p.m. – TBI
- Tuesday, June 7, at 10 a.m. – CPS
- Wednesday, June 8, at 10 a.m. – Youth Suicide
- Thursday, June 9, at 2 p.m. – Teen Driving
- Wednesday, June 15, at 10 a.m. – Child Maltreatment
- Wednesday, July 20, at 10 a.m. – Child Maltreatment
Save the Date!
The 2022 Child Passenger Safety Conference will take place Sept. 20, 2022, in person in Columbus. Registration will open in June.
Please consider celebrating the following safety observances:
- May – National Bike Month (League of American Bicyclists)
- May – National Water Safety Month (Association of Pool & Spa Professionals; National Recreation & Parks Association; American Red Cross; World Waterpark Association)
- May – National Child Passenger Safety Technician Month (Safe Kids Worldwide)
- May – Mental Health Month (Mental Health America)
- May – Global Youth Traffic Safety Month (National Organizations for Youth Safety)
- May 1 – National Heatstroke Prevention Day (NHTSA)
- May 4 – Bike to School Day (National Center for Safe Routes to School)
- June – National Safety Month (National Safety Council)
- July – National Fireworks Safety Month (Prevent Blindness America)
Additional information can be found on the Prevent Child Injury website.