Web Content Viewer


Do all schools have to provide hearing and vision screening services? 

According to the Section 3313.69 of the Ohio Revised Code (ORC), all schools with medical/nursing services are to provide hearing and vision screening services that meet ODH screening requirements.

How are hearing and vision screening requirements set? 

Hearing and vision screenings performed in schools must be conducted in accordance with mandates stated in the ORC. These mandates allow ODH to establish minimum, mandatory grade levels, methods and procedures for screening and follow-up. The Ad Hoc Hearing and Vision Advisory Committees help set the requirements for hearing and vision screening in schools. The Ad Hoc Hearing and Vision Advisory Committees consist of otolaryngologists, pediatricians, ophthalmologists, optometrists, audiologists, speech-language pathologists, nurses, Ohio Department of Education staff and ODH's staff. For more information about the advisory committees or to provide comments to the committee, please contact: BCFHS@odh.ohio.gov . 

I am a school nurse. What are the criteria to purchase an ODH-approved vision screening chart?

For children who are pre-readers, the vision screening chart should be a crowded and proportional LEA chart. For children who are readers, the vision screening chart should be any crowded or proportional letter chart other than the Tumbling E.

I am a school nurse. How do I register for screening training?  

Free screening trainings are offered by ODH throughout the year. Click here to register for a free hearing and vision training.

My school does screening in different grades than what is mandated by ODH. What should I do?

The grade levels mandated by ODH are the minimum grades to be screened. You should contact your school principal.

My child did not pass a school screening, child what should I do now? 

Your primary care provider or your school nurse may provide you with a list of professionals to contact in your community.

My child failed the hearing screening. Do I need to see a doctor or an audiologist?

It is recommended that you contact your primary care doctor first. If necessary, the doctor will refer you to a specialist.