Web Content Viewer
Home Health Agencies
older adult and care giver

Home Health Agencies

Skilled Home Health Services and Nonmedical Home Health Services provide skilled nursing services, other therapeutic services, and homemaking services to patients in their homes.

Do you need a license?*

Are you one of the following applicants as defined by Section 3740.01 of the Ohio Revised Code?

Home health agency – A business or other entity, that provides skilled nursing services, other therapeutic services,
and homemaking services to patients in their homes.


Nonagency Provider - A individual who provides direct care to more than two individuals simultaneously (at the
same time) on a self-employed basis and does not employ, directly or through contract, another person to provide
the services.

If so, and you provide any of the services listed below in a person's home, you are required to obtain a license.

Skilled Home Health Services

  • Skilled nursing care.
  • Physical therapy.
  • Occupational therapy.
  • Speech-language pathology.
  • Medical social services.

Click here for the Skilled Home Health Services Application

Non-medical Home Health Services

  • Home health aide services
    • Hands-on bathing or assistance with tub or shower.
    •  Assistance with dressing, toileting, and ambulation.
    • Catheter care, but not insertion.
    • Meal preparation, and feeding.
  • Personal care services
    • Hands-on assistance with activities of daily living and instrumental activities of daily living, when incidental to assistance with activities of daily living.
    • Assistance managing the individual's home and handling personal affairs.
    • Assistance with self-administration of medications.
    • Homemaker services such as cleaning, mail, and laundry.
    • Respite services for the individual’s caregiver.
    • Errands completed outside of the presence of the individual such as picking up prescriptions and groceries.

Click here for the Non-medical Home Health Services Application


For questions about obtaining a license, please contact DQAClearinghouse@odh.ohio.gov 


* Nursing homes, residential care facilities, hospice care programs, pediatric respite care programs, informal respite care providers, provider certified by the Department of Developmental Disabilities under Chapter 5123. of the Revised Code, residential facilities, shared living providers, or immediate family members, and childcare providers do not need to obtain this license.

Still have questions?

Additional information about hte Home Health licensing application and answers to the most commonly asked questions are available in our Home Health Licensing Information Sheet.

Mailing Address:

Ohio Department of Health
Bureau of Regulatory Operations, HHA
246 North High Street
Columbus, OH 43215

Phone: 614-466-7713
Fax: (614) 564-2475

E-mail: LICCERT@odh.ohio.gov