U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
This agency provides J-1 visa waiver recommendations for primary care physicians who have completed their primary care or psychiatric residency training programs no more than 12 months before the date of commencement of employment under the contract and who will practice at qualifying sites located in HPSAs scoring seven or higher.
- Application is made directly to HHS by the sponsor. The application requires that a request be made for a letter of support/acknowledgement from ODH.
- To request a letter of support/acknowledgment from ODH, submit a signed official request letter from the sponsoring organization to the Director of Health that includes the following information:
- Physician’s name and specialty.
- Practice site name(s) and address(es).
- Attestation that physician will spend a minimum of 40 hours per week in direct clinical primary care for a J-1 visa waiver obligation period of no less than three years.
- Please note that the physician must have an active Ohio medical license in order for a letter of support/acknowledgment from ODH to be processed.
- More information on the HHS clinical care waiver, can be found on the HHS website.