Web Content Viewer

Information for Local Health Districts

List of Registered Private Water System Contractors

This page provides the lists of registered private water systems contractors and water haulers.

Anyone in the business of working on private water systems in Ohio must register with Ohio Department of Health (ODH) as a Private Water Systems Contractor.  Property owners, who wish to construct, alter or seal their private water systems on their primary or secondary property, are required to register (without the bonding requirement) as of April 1, 2011.  Property owners should contact the Local Health Department office and the ODH Private Water Systems Program about Property Owner Registration.  More information is available in the tab for Property Owner Registration.

The lists of registered private water systems contractors can be found using the links below.  The lists are updated as contractors are added.  Please check back if you cannot find a contractor listed or call the ODH Private Water Systems program at 614-644-7558.

Contact the ODH Private Water Systems Program for information regarding the previous years registration.

List of Registered Water Haulers

Please Note:  Private Water Systems Water Haulers are registered at the local Health District in which their business is located.  Once the company is registered and their truck is inspected and approved by their 'home' health district, the truck receives a state water hauler registration sticker which allows them to haul water anywhere within the state of Ohio.  The Ohio Department of Health relies on the local health districts who register and inspect the water haulers to provide the information about water haulers they register. If a local health district has not reported to ODH that a water hauler has been registered it will not appear on the list.

Registered Property Owners

Contact the private water systems program, at 614-644-7558, to verify if a property owner is registered to construct, alter, or seal a private water system on their primary or secondary property.


Laboratories certified to conduct water testing for private water systems

The private water system rules (Ohio Administrative Code Chapter 3701-28) require water samples collected from private water systems to be analyzed by a certified laboratory for system approval after new construction, alteration or repair. The department recommends that all water samples collected from private water systems for real estate transactions, or consumer information also be analyzed at a certified laboratory to ensure that proper procedures and water analysis methods are used to protect public health.

Laboratories who will perform alternative analysis methods to provide a colony count after a water sample has been invalidated.

Private water system rule 3701-28-03 (S)(1) requires water samples to have a coliform CFU count.  Occasionally, the lab will be unable to provide a result due to the formation of precipitate during the analysis process.  If you have had a water sample result returned as invalidated or unable to report due to the formation of black precipitate you will need to use one of the approved alternative analysis methods for water sample coliform CFU counts.  The link below provides the contact information for certified labs which will perform one of the alternative analysis methods.  Remember these methods are only to be used AFTER a sample has been invalidated by the lab due to the formation of a precipitate.

Private Water Systems Rules

Private water systems are regulated by the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) under Sections 3701.344 to 3701.347 of the Ohio Revised Code (ORC) and Chapter 3701-28 of the Ohio Administrative Code (OAC). Private Water Systems are potable water wells, ponds, springs, cisterns and hauled water storage tanks that provide drinking water to fewer than 25 people, less than sixty days out of the year, or have less than 15 service connections. These would include single water supplies that serve homes, small businesses, small churches, small mobile home parks or communities with fewer than 25 residents.


Forms for Local Health Districts

Permit Forms

  • Permit Application and Site Plan
  • Additional Plans Forms as required in section 3701-28-03(E) and (F) of the Administrative Code.
    • Required for the construction or alteration of ponds, springs, cisterns, wells drilled in areas of known flowing well conditions, systems serving greater than a three (3) family dwelling, and systems servicing buildings (as defined in section 3781.06 of the Revised Code).
  • Administrative Summary Form (electronic fill-in)

Completion Forms

Well Log/Sealing Report Search

Transmittal and Report Forms (pdf print only forms)

Water Hauler Registration Reporting Form

Audit Stickers and Water Hauler Stickers

Complete the Literature & Forms Requisition (HEA 5222) for all Audit Sticker and Water Hauler Sticker requests.  Submit the completed request form to BEH@odh.ohio.gov.

Contractor Inspection Forms

Grout Calculation Spreadsheet

Down-hole Camera (DHC) Requests

Types of Private Water Systems

This page provides information about wells, cisterns, hauled water storage tanks, ponds, and springs.  It also includes information on Maintenance and Continuous Disinfection.  Please click on the link below for information about the different types of private water systems.

Emergency Information

Power Outage: Power Outages and Private Water Systems (PWS) fact sheet

Drought: Private Water Systems and Drought in Ohio fact sheet

Flooding: Disinfection Fact Sheet for Flooded Drinking Water Wells

Out of Water:

A well going dry or a well that fails to produce an adequate amount of potable water can be a stressful situation for a homeowner.  Running out of water can pose an immediate threat to the health and safety of the residents of the dwelling and may be considered an emergency if there is no alternative potable water source.

Try to determine the cause for the lack of water.  You may need to contact a registered private water systems contractor to evaluate your system.  To find a registered private water systems contractor go to the first tab on this web page.

Once the system has been evaluated and a cause has been determined, contact a registered private water systems contractor to perform any necessary work on your system.

To find the contact information for your Local Health Department go to this webpage link. Click Find My Local Health Department.

Financial Resource Information

Household Water Well Program Loan

A household water well program low-interest loan is currently open to owner-occupied homes located in rural areas of Ohio with a household income up to a maximum of $55,216.  This loan is available for water well improvements and in home water treatment systems. 

For additional information about how to qualify for the loan:

Water Well Trust

The Water Well Trust (WWT) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization created by the Water Systems Council.  The WWT and it's partners build wells for low-income families in the US that need access to a clean, safe water supply.

They serve Americans living primarily in rural, unincorporated areas or minority communities that may be isolated and difficult to reach.  Their focus is to assist low-income families that cannot afford to pay for public water supplies, and those who live in areas where the extension of public water supplies to serve them doesn't make economic sense...for them, for the public water supply owners, for federal, state, or local funding sources.

For additional information, go to the Water Well Trust website.  

Community Development Block Grant Funds

Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds are not allocated specifically for private water system replacement, but have been utilized in some Ohio jurisdictions for the repair and replacement of home water systems. Funds are generally limited to repair or replacement of failing systems, but have also been used for system abandonment and access to public water. Eligible applicants usually must income qualify and be owner/occupants.

  • CDBG Contact: Your Local Board of County Commissioners

Community Housing Improvement Program

Community Housing Improvement Program (CHIP) funds may be available in eligible jurisdictions. Applicants can apply for funds to address housing problems that will cover improvements to assure a safe and healthy environment, including the repair or replacement of a private water system for a home.

  • CHIP Contact: Your Local Board of County Commissioners

USDA - Rural Housing and Rural Utilities Programs

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) funding is available to both property owners seeking grants or low interest loans for repair or replacement of private water systems through the Rural Housing Service program under 502 Direct Loans and 504 Repair Loans and Grants. Please contact either the state or district office below for more information.

The Rural Utilities Service also provides funds to eligible rural jurisdictions for public water projects to serve neighborhoods with a significant water supply needs (Water and Wastewater Disposal Loans and Grants).

Housing and Urban Development

The federal Housing and Urban Development (HUD) program may also be used to provide low interest loans to homeowners for the repair and rehabilitation of homes, and these costs may also be included as part of the home purchase depending on the final appraised value. Please contact the HUD office below for more information.

  • HUD website
    • Cleveland: (216) 357-7900
    • Columbus: (614) 469-5737

Resource and Educational Information

This page includes the list of private water systems contractors, law and rules pertaining to private water systems, fact sheets, educational courses, and links to other State and National agencies, associations and organizations.  Please click on the link below to go to the Resource and Education page.