Web Content Viewer

Financial Resources

Water Pollution Control Loan Fund (WPCLF) grants for the Repair and Replacement of Failing Household Sewage Treatment Systems

Ohio EPA is offering communities financial assistance through the Water Pollution Control Loan Fund (WPCLF) to help low – to moderate -income homeowners repair and replace failing home sewage treatment systems (HSTS).

WPCLF contact: Your Local Health District

Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Funds:

Community Development Block Grant Funds (CDBG) funds are not allocated specifically for household sewage system replacement, but have been utilized in some Ohio jurisdictions for the abatement of sewage nuisance conditions. Funds are generally limited to repair or replacement of failing systems, but have also been used for system abandonment and access to public sewer. Eligible applicants usually must meet an income requirement and be owner/occupants.

CDBG Contact: Your Local Board of County Commissioners

Community Housing Improvement Program (CHIP):

Community Housing Improvement Program (CHIP) funds may be available in eligible jurisdictions. Applicants can apply for funds to address housing problems that will cover improvements to assure a safe and healthy environment, including the repair or replacement of a failing household sewage system.

CHIP Contact: Your Local Board of County Commissioners

United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Housing and Rural Utilities Programs:

United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Housing and Rural Utilities funding is available to both property owners seeking grants or low interest loans for repair or replacement of failing sewage systems through the Rural Housing Service program under 502 Direct Loans and 504 Repair Loans and Grants. The web links below provide the information for these programs. Please contact either the state or district office below for more information.

The Rural Utilities Service also provides funds to and eligible rural jurisdictions for public sewer projects to serve neighborhoods with a significant number of failing systems (Water and Wastewater Disposal Loans and Grants).

Ohio 502 Loans and 504 Repair Loans and Grants 

USDA Rural Housing Service webpage

USDA Rural Utilities Service webpage

USDA Contact:
State Office: (614) 255-2500
NE Office - Massillon (330) 830-7700
SE Office - Marietta (740) 373-7113
SW Office - Hillsboro (937) 393-0920
NW Office - Findlay (419) 422-0242

Housing and Urban Development (HUD):

The federal HUD program may also be used to provide low interest loans to homeowners for the repair and rehabilitation of homes, and these costs may also be included as part of the home purchase depending on the final appraised value. Please contact the district HUD office below for more information.  HUD website

Cincinnati: (513) 684-3451
Cleveland: (216) 522-4058
Columbus: (614) 469-5737

United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA)

The US EPA has a website that contains information about funding sources for septic systems that may be available. 

The US EPA has a website Water Finance Clearinghouse that may contain funding sources.