Mission and Vision
Mission: To prevent fatal and non-fatal injuries for all Ohioans by raising awareness and supporting evidence-based interventions through collaborative partnerships.
Vision: A safe and injury free Ohio.
- Strengthen injury prevention workforce by supporting core competencies in injury and violence prevention.
- Provide opportunities for training in the implementation and evaluation of evidence-based injury prevention.
- Increase the use of evidence-based injury prevention interventions statewide (through communication strategies, website, training, etc.).
Why does the OIPP exist?
Injury and violence are major public health problems in Ohio because of their incomparable cost and disabling and disrupting consequences. They remain the leading cause of death for Ohioans aged 1 to 44 and the fifth leading cause of death overall. The OIPP is committed to strengthening and sustaining effective injury and violence prevention measures that reflect the significance of the problem. Members of the group agree:
- Injuries are not "accidents"; they are preventable.
- Collaboration is effective in addressing injury.
- Improved statewide coordination of injury prevention efforts is needed in Ohio.
- Initiatives should be data-driven to identify the populations at highest risk.
What injuries does the OIPP address?
The OIPP is concerned with preventing injury of all types. However, based on Ohio-specific injury data and an in-depth prioritization process, the group has identified the following injury priority areas:
Falls Among Older Adults
Child Passenger Safety
Teen Driver Safety
Bicycle Helmets/Wheeled Sports Safety
Infant Safe Sleep
OIPP Action Groups
OIPP action groups have been developed to create and implement action plans to address injury priorities, promote policy & systems change and improve state-wide data collection. These groups include:
OIPP Quarterly Meeting Schedule
How do I Join?
To become a member of the OIPP or any of the Action Groups please complete the online membership application. You will begin to receive meeting notifications and updates about the group's activities.