The Office of General Counsel assists the Director of Health in defining agency goals and objectives by overseeing and coordinating all legal activities for the Ohio Department of Health (ODH). The legal office serves as in-house legal counsel for ODH. Some of its responsibilities include:
- Negotiates, develops and advocates the legal and legislative positions of the Department.
- Works with industry stakeholders and ODH’s program staff and leadership to develop rules and regulations in order to protect the health and safety of all Ohioans.
- Issues and accepts subpoenas and requests for administrative hearings on behalf of the Department.
- Ensures compliance with the Ohio Sunshine Laws.
- Serves as the Chief Ethics Officer and Privacy Officer for the Department of Health.
- Supports ODH’s administration by negotiating contracts and agreements with outside parties to further ODH’s mission.
- Provides support and assistance to ODH regarding enforcement of Ohio’s laws and regulations, and collaborates with the Ohio Attorney General’s office when litigation needs arise.