Vaccine Transfer Process
The Ohio Department of Health (ODH) recognizes that there are circumstances in which COVID-19 vaccine must be redistributed from the identified Ohio COVID-19 vaccine primary ship-to sites to other enrolled vaccine provider locations or transported to off-site clinics. Movement of vaccine is not a recommended practice but is permitted between enrolled providers upon approval by ODH. Reasons for requesting movement of vaccine could be:
Transferring short-dated doses to avoid waste.
Transferring doses to enrolled providers to ensure timely administration of vaccine to currently identified priority phase populations in limited situations when direct shipment by ODH to transferee did not occur, based on planning or logistical limitations.
If a provider has excess doses that are needing to be moved, complete the steps below:
Complete an a COVID-19 Vaccine Request of Movement online form
ODH will be reviewing these requests. Review of requests may take 2 to 3 business days.
Approval will be communicated via email
If the request is approved by ODH, initiate the COVID-19 Vaccine Record of Movement Form with vaccine information and site information.
- Follow the guidance in the approval email
- Gather appropriate materials to pack vaccine for transport (cooler, conditioned water bottles, temperature monitoring device, etc.).
- Gather ancillary supplies: Pack all syringes, needles, and ancillary items needed to administer the vaccines being transferred.
- Use a temperature monitoring device with at least a min/max functionality to ensure vaccine viability during transport.
- Assure the temperature monitoring device is not directly placed on a cold pack during transport (as this may reflect false temperature readings).
- Reset the min/max prior to moving the vaccine.
- Document the starting temperature on the form.
During Movement - Step 3
- Monitor the temperatures in the transport cooler.
Step 3: The sites must make inventory adjustments in ImpactSIIS. The originating site must remove the doses from their inventory and the receiving site must add the doses to their ImpactSIIS inventory.
- Both originating and receiving sites must keep a copy of COVID-19 Vaccine Record of Movement Form on file.
Step 4: The originating site must submit the completed Record of Movement form to email@example.com