The Food Safety Program provides technical assistance in all aspects of food safety to local health department staff, the food service industry and the general public. Technical experts are available to provide current information on food safety as it applies to licensable food service operations (e.g., restaurants, vending machine locations, mobile and temporary food service operations). The program:
- Provides technical assistance to local health department staff, food service industry and the public regarding issues related to:
- Ohio Uniform Food Safety Code Chapter 3717-1 of the Ohio Administrative Code.
- Chapter 3717 of the Ohio Revised Code related to food service operations.
- Chapter 3701-21 of the Ohio Administrative Code related to food service operations.
- Provides training programs to local health department staff and the food service industry. These programs cover topics such as plan review, critical control point and standard food service inspections, mobile food service inspections, vending machine inspections and inspection report writing.
- Provides training in food safety to new and prospective sanitarians through the Bureau of Environmental Health's Programs Course.
- Approves courses of study and certifies individuals in food protection certification.
- Provides recall information regarding food products to local health departments and the public.
- Acts as liaison with the Ohio Department of Health’s Epidemiology section and other agencies regarding foodborne disease outbreaks involving food service operations.
- Evaluates the “food service operation programs” of local health districts, using the current Survey Methodology, to determine if boards of health are qualified and have the capacity to administer and enforce the food service operation law and rules.
For complaints on food service operations, contact your local health department. The local health department is the agency who is responsible for licensing and inspecting the food service operations in their jurisdiction. To find the contact information for your local health department, click here.
Ohio Department of Health
Bureau of Environmental Health and Radiation Protection
Food Safety Program
246 North High Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Phone: (614) 644-7416