Ohio First Steps for Healthy Babies
The Ohio Department of Health and the Ohio Hospital Association launched Ohio First Steps for Healthy Babies to encourage hospitals to promote, protect and support breastfeeding.
How Does it Work?
- Hospitals are awarded based on a five-tier system—receiving an award for every two steps achieved.
- Program steps are based on a 10-step list adopted from the World Health Organization and Baby-Friendly USA’s Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding.
- Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding
- Hospitals are free to choose the order of steps to adopt.
Ohio Hospital Association
Tina L. Turner
Ohio Department of Health
Why Join Ohio First Steps for Healthy Babies?
- Elevates hospital status as a leader in quality maternal and infant care.
- Access to free staff training and resources.
- The program is completely voluntary—hospitals are free to complete the program steps in any order they choose.
- No application or penalty fees.
- Official recognition from the Ohio Department of Health and the Ohio Hospital Association.
- Supports Ohio’s Healthy People 2020 goals.
- Aligns with Ohio’s Plan to Prevent and Reduce Chronic Disease: 2014-2018.
The Ohio Department of Health partnered with University of Louisville Center for Women and Infants at the University of Louisville Hospital to unite obstetrical healthcare staff at the Ohio birthing hospitals to implement Kangaroo Care as a standard of care in the delivery rooms and postpartum areas for the purposes of increasing breastfeeding rates. Each hospital that attended received a “Jumping into Kangaroo Care” tool-kit comprised of professional training DVD, a patient education DVD and a CD-ROM with support materials. Overall,
- 19 one-day train-the-trainer workshops were offered
- 92 birthing hospitals across Ohio attended
- 391 hospital staff were trained
- 193 toolkits were distributed
Participating hospitals are collecting data monthly, for one year, on their Kangaroo Care and breastfeeding rates
Below you will find information regarding the application process.
For more application information, please visit https://ohiohospitals.org/ohiofirststeps
Best Practice Award
The Ohio First Steps for Healthy Babies, in partnership with the Ohio Breastfeeding Alliance and the Ohio Lactation Consultant Association recognizes hospitals for being “Bag Free.” This Maternity Care Best Practice Award recognizes hospitals for removal of free infant formula samples and formula company branded diaper bags and goods. This supports hospitals in progress towards practices that align with "Baby-Friendly USA" certification requirements, as well as the overall goal of reducing infant mortality in Ohio.
First Steps for Healthy Babies Resource Guide
The Ohio First Steps for Healthy Babies offers training opportunities to support best practices in promoting breastfeeding initiation and duration.
Please visit www.ohiohospitals.org/ohiofirststeps to view the recordings.