The application cycle for the Ohio Dentist Loan Repayment Program (ODLRP) and the Ohio Dental Hygienist Loan Repayment Program (ODHLRP) is closed. Applications that were postmarked by January 16, 2018 will be reviewed and applicants will be notified when funding decisions have been made.
The goal of the Ohio Dentist Loan Repayment Program (ODLRP) and the Ohio Dental Hygienist Loan Repayment Program (ODHLRP) is to increase access to dental care for underserved communities and populations. In exchange for loan repayment assistance, dentists and dental hygienists commit to practice for a minimum of two years at an eligible site in a Dental Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) or Dental Health Resource Shortage Area, accept Medicaid, and see patients regardless of ability to pay.
For the first two-year contract, selected full-time applicants practicing a minimum of 40 hours per week may receive up to $25,000 annually for repayment of outstanding dental or dental hygiene school debt. Those who remain at their practice sites and maintain eligibility may receive up to $35,000 annually for a third and fourth year of service. Part-time participants practicing between 20 and 39 hours per week may receive up to half the amount of full-time participants.
The following dental providers are eligible:
- Currently practicing general and pediatric dentists and dental hygienists with educational loans
- Dental residents in the final year of pediatric or general practice residency or in advanced education in general dentistry programs
- Dental and dental hygiene students enrolled in the final year of dental or dental hygiene school
If applicants have existing obligations to a government or other entity, the obligations must be met prior to beginning a loan repayment contract.
Practice Site Eligibility
Practice sites must be located in a Dental HPSA or Dental Health Resource Shortage Area, accept Medicaid and accommodate all patients regardless of their ability to pay.
Free Clinics may contact ODH at the phone number or e-mail address below to determine their eligibility as an ODLRP or ODHLRP practice site.
In addition to the application and forms below, the following documents are required to apply:
- CV or resume
- Copy of Ohio Dental or Dental Hygiene License
- Background and biographical statements
- Copy of waiting room/lobby sign (if applicable)
- Practice site’s sliding fee scale and corresponding policy
- Authorization to lenders/loan servicers to release financial information to ODH
- Copies of current loan balance statements
- Position Description
- Copy of employment contract
Forms and Resources
Application Packet - Please click on the link on the right side of this page to download a copy of the Application Packet
Dentist Scoring Criteria: ODLRP Scoring Criteria
Dental Hygienist Scoring Criteria: ODHLRP Scoring Criteria
Loan Repayment Fact Sheet: State Loan Repayment Program Fact Sheet
Health and Human Services Poverty Guidelines: Poverty Guidelines
ORC 3702.85 - 3702.95: ODLRP Law
OAC 3701-56: ODLRP Rules
ORC 3702.96 - 3702.967: ODHLRP Law
OAC 3701-58: ODHLRP Rules