The Charitable Healthcare Network, formerly known as The Ohio Association of Free Clinics (OAFC), receives funds from ODH to pay for the health care services to patients who lack the funds or insurance coverage to pay for vital health services and distributes these funds to free clinics around the state. These funds pay for primary health care services to any uninsured person at a free clinic who is in need of health care.
You can find a free clinic by visiting the Charitable Healthcare Network website or by calling (614) 545-0760. They list 51 free clinics in 28 Ohio counties on their website.
Free Clinic Appreciation Month
The Ohio Legislature, through H.B. 320 of the 130th General Assembly, designated December as Free Clinic Appreciation Month in Ohio. As part of Free Clinic Appreciation Month, the Ohio Association of Free Clinics and the Ohio Department of Health recognize the accomplishments of Ohio's free clinics with an award presentation. Each year awards are presented for Free Clinic of the Year, Free Clinic Volunteer Physician of the Year, Free Clinic Volunteer Nurse of the Year, and Free Clinic Volunteer Dentist of the year. This year a new award category has been added for Community Volunteer of the Year!
The 2019 Free Clinic Award recipients:
- Good Samaritan Free Health Center, Cincinnati, Ohio: Free Clinic of the Year
- Dr. William Fike, MD, Lake County Free Clinic, Painsville, Ohio: Free Clinic Volunteer Physician of the Year
- Betty Giammar, RN, BSN, New Life Community Outreach, Health and Wellness Center, Columbus, Ohio: Free Clinic Volunteer Nurse of the Year
- Dr. Shaun Rotenberg, DMD, MS, Physician's CareConnection, Columbus, Ohio: Free Clinic Volunteer Dentist of the Year
- Barbara Wilson, Licking County Community Health Clinic, Cincinnati, Ohio: Community Volunteer of the Year